I just listed an apartment at 1254 Commonwealth Avenue, Unit 17, Allston. Is it the most special apartment in Allston or Brighton? No. Does it have a lot of what the typical tenant in Allston or Brighton wants? Yes. I helped the previous owner rent the apartment back in November, 2012; he got $2,000 per month. I then helped the previous owner sell the unit back in April, 2014; he got $310,000. I’m now helping the new owner rent the unit; we’re asking $2,100 per month.
The apartment won’t have exactly everything that the typical tenant would want but it does have a few things going for it:
- The heat and hot water are included. Yay!
- The apartment has hardwood floors. No gross rugs!
- The apartment has a hook up for a washing machine. Convenience!
- The apartment is located in a rear corner of the fourth floor. Less noise!
- The building is located one block from Harvard Avenue Station. No huffing and puffing!
Wow! Even I’m ready to move in after learning all of that! Okay. I’m kidding. I’ve done my time living in Boston’s apartments.
And, if you contact me directly, you won’t have to deal with those seemingly greedy and incompetent rental agents in Allston and Brighton that are helping to tarnish our reputation as real estate agents; I read their Google and Yelp reviews too. No, they’re not all bad but I’ve had a tough time with one broker in particular who will remain nameless.
The owner is asking for:
- First month’s rent.
- Last month’s rent.
- A security deposit equalling the monthly rent.
- A broker fee equalling the monthly rent.
- Tenants are required to have renter’s insurance.
The broker’s fee equals one month rent. I know, I know… What do I do for that fee? Nothing, right? Okay. I could fight you on that point but I’ll capitulate for argument’s sake. I know that the fee can sting but I’ll let you know that, in a larger sense, it’s helping to grease the wheels of the local economy, and, in a smaller sense, it’s helping me to pay my bills. I know that probably doesn’t make you feel too much better but I will tell you that I’m extremely appreciative of the people who help to keep me in business so I’m always appreciative of every fee that my work generates so thank you for that.
the link to the listing page for 1254 Commonwealth Avenue, Unit 17, Allston.